Our thoughts are with the Massachusetts communities impacted by the events that occurred on Thursday.  In light of these events, NPU is reminding customers of important natural gas safety information.

  1. If you smell gas, leave the premises immediately and call 860-887-7207 or 911 from a safe location. Do not use your telephone or cell phone in your house.
  2. Do not smoke, light candles or operate light switches, appliances or other electrical equipment. Doing so can produce a spark, ignite the gas and cause an explosion.

How to recognize a gas leak:

Smell:  Natural gas contains an odorant (Mercaptan) that smells like rotten eggs.

Sight:  Seeing a white cloud, mist, fog, bubbles in standing water or blowing dust.

Sound:  Hearing an unusual noise like roaring, hissing or whistling.

For more natural gas safety information – please click here