NPU is always available to assist you with any questions, comments or concerns about your utility bill.  However, if you remain unsatisfied, you have the right to refer your questions and comments to the Connecticut Public Utility Regulatory Authority.  Details are provided in the attached Customer Rights policy.

Customer Rights

In the planning phase, and prior to installing any utility infrastructure, the developer must contact a NPU project coordinator at 860-823-4513 and sign a Developer’s Utility Permit Agreement which contains detailed construction requirements.


Construction Standards

Please follow the standards set forth below when installing a new utility service.

Residential Water Service Installation Guidelines

Residential Sewer Service Installation Guidelines

Sanitary Sewer Design, Construction & Installation Standards

For downloadable drawings, click here


Developer's Utility Permit Agreement

The following security deposit guidelines will be applied to all new individual home owners or tenants seeking gas, electric, and water and/or sewer services from NPU. For rental properties, all tenants on the lease are evaluated.

Residential Deposits - Homeowners/Tenants

The following security deposit guidelines will be applied to all Multi-Family and Non-Owner Occupied Residential Rental Properties seeking gas, electric, and water and/or sewer services from NPU.

Multi-family and Non-owner Occupied Residential Security Deposit Guideline

The following security deposit guidelines will be applied to all new Commercial and Industrial customers seeking gas, electric, and water and/or sewer services from NPU.

Commercial & Industrial Security Deposit Guidelines

The Sewer Authority will assess the sewer capital connection fee charges for the establishment of new connections and the increase of existing wastewater discharge to the sewer system.


Capital Connection Fee

Whenever a contractor is blasting within 200 feet of a buried NPU facility (pipes, wires, manholes, etc), the contractor needs to contact a project coordinator (860) 823-4513 and follow the NPU blasting procedure. This is in addition to contacting Call Before You Dig (CBYD) and the local fire marshal (860-892-3165).

The contractor must provide NPU with a sketch showing the location of the blasting in conjunction with the NPU facilities. They must also fill out the blasting investigation report, and complete the appropriate charge distance limits in blasting near buried pipelines. NPU will then review the documentation, and provide written authorization to the blaster to proceed. NPU requires this information a minimum of two (2) business days in advance of blasting.

NPU will perform a leak check of our buried mains before and after the blasting to insure system integrity and public safety.

Blasting Investigation Report

Fats, oils and grease (FOG) dumped down a drain cause considerable damage to the city’s sewer collection system, as well as your own system, and result in operational problems and added costs for the wastewater treatment facility. The State of Connecticut has established a general permit for food preparation establishments (FPES) to meet compliance requirements for the discharge of fats, oils, and grease.

If you operate a Class III or IV Food Preparation Establishment (FPE) and you discharge to the Norwich sanitary sewer system, you must comply with the General Permit for the Discharge of Wastewater Associated with FPE.

General Permit Application Form

FOG Frequently Asked Questions

State of Connecticut DEEP Fats, Oils & Grease Program

FOG Brochure

Sewer regulations establish the procedures and policies for making connections to and the use of the public sewers in the Norwich wastewater collection system. They also establish specific limits for pollutant discharges which by their nature or by their interaction with sewage will be detrimental to the public health, cause damage to the public sewer or the Publicly Owned Treatment Works, pollute the waters of the state, or otherwise create a public nuisance.

NPU Sewer Regulations