In the planning phase, and prior to installing any utility infrastructure, the developer must contact a NPU Project Coordinator at 860- 823-4513 and sign a Developer’s Utility Permit Agreement which contains detailed construction requirements.

Developer's Utility Permit Agreement

The following security deposit guidelines will be applied to all new Commercial and Industrial customers seeking gas, electric, and water and/or sewer services from NPU.

Commercial & Industrial Security Deposit Guidelines

Prior to installing any new residential utility service, please read and follow the guidelines provided:

Residential Water Service Installation Guidelines

Residential Sewer Utility Installation Guidelines

Sanitary Sewer Design, Construction & Installation Standards

For downloadable drawings, click here

The Sewer Authority will assess the Sewer Capital Connection Fee charges for the establishment of new connections and the increase of existing waste water discharge to the sewer system.

Sewer Capital Connection Fee

Whenever a contractor is blasting within 200 feet of a buried NPU facility (pipes, wires, manholes, etc), the contractor needs to contact a Project Coordinator (860) 823-4513 and follow the NPU blasting procedure. This is in addition to contacting Call Before You Dig (CBYD) by dialing 811 and the local Fire Marshal.

The contractor must provide NPU with a sketch showing the location of the blasting in conjunction with the NPU facilities. They must also fill out the blasting investigation report, and complete the appropriate charge distance limits in blasting near buried pipelines. NPU will then review the documentation, and provide written authorization to the blaster to proceed. NPU requires this information a minimum of two (2) business days in advance of blasting.

NPU will perform a leak check of our buried mains before and after the blasting to insure system integrity and public safety.

Blasting Investigation Report Template

Fats, oils and grease (FOG) dumped down a drain cause considerable damage to the city’s sewer collection system, as well as your own system, and result in operational problems and added costs for the wastewater treatment facility. The State of Connecticut has established a General Permit for food preparation establishments (FPEs) to meet compliance requirements for the discharge of fats, oils, and grease.

General Permit Application Form

FOG Frequently Asked Questions

State of Connecticut DEEP Fats, Oils & Grease Program

COVID-19 Indoor Active Grease Recovery Unit (AGRU) SHUT DOWN

FOG Brochure