Information for Developers/Contractors

Click Here to apply for a permit for a new water and/or sewer service connection or repair to an existing water and/or sewer service.

A Commercial Account is defined as any property used for business purposes including residential rental properties, multi-family and non-owner occupied single family dwellings.

By following these commercial account security deposit guidelines, Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) will continue to provide competitive utility rates by protecting all customers from absorbing the debt created by delinquent commercial accounts. The following security deposit guidelines will be applied to all commercial customers seeking gas, electric, and water and/or sewer services from NPU.

Commercial Security Deposit Guidelines

The Sewer Authority will assess the Sewer Capital Connection Fee charges for the establishment of new connections and the increase of existing waste water discharge to the sewer system.

Sewer Capital Connection Fee

Whenever a contractor is blasting within 200 feet of a buried NPU facility (pipes, wires, manholes, etc), the contractor needs to contact a Project Coordinator (860) 823-4513 and follow the NPU blasting procedure. This is in addition to contacting Call Before You Dig (CBYD) by dialing 811 and the local Fire Marshal.

The contractor must provide NPU with a sketch showing the location of the blasting in conjunction with the NPU facilities. They must also fill out the blasting investigation report, and complete the appropriate charge distance limits in blasting near buried pipelines. NPU will then review the documentation, and provide written authorization to the blaster to proceed. NPU requires this information a minimum of two (2) business days in advance of blasting.

NPU will perform a leak check of our buried mains before and after the blasting to insure system integrity and public safety.

Blasting Investigation Report Template

Fats, oils and grease (FOG) dumped down a drain cause considerable damage to the city’s sewer collection system, as well as your own system, and result in operational problems and added costs for the wastewater treatment facility. The State of Connecticut has established a General Permit for food preparation establishments (FPEs) to meet compliance requirements for the discharge of fats, oils, and grease.

General Permit Application Form

FOG Frequently Asked Questions

State of Connecticut DEEP Fats, Oils & Grease Program

FOG Brochure

Excavation damage to underground utility facilities can cause fires and explosions, injuries, deaths, and significant disruptions to public utility service.  Excavators must call CBYD prior to digging, and then CBYD will notify all utilities that might be in the area.  Utilities will then locate their pipes and cables using paint and stakes, so excavators can conduct their work without causing damage.  The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA) oversees the program, and may assess civil penalties in the thousands of dollars for any party who violates the Statutes and Regulations.

CBYD Clearinghouse Website

History of the CBYD Program

Current Provisions of the CBYD law

PURA Monitoring and Enforcement Actions

Central Clearinghouse and Homeowner Responsibilities

Color Coding and Surface Marking of Underground Utilities

To have your utilities located, contact CBYD by calling 811 or 1-800-922-4455.

View Brouchure PDF