Get your home or business ready for the winter weather
Get your home or business ready for the winter weather by making it more energy efficient:
1. Caulk around windows to keep warm air from escaping and cold air from entering. Even if you have done this in the past, caulking needs to be replaced periodically.
2. Replace weatherstripping around doors. If you can see light around the edges of your exterior doors, an investment of a few dollars to install weatherstripping can save you hundreds of dollars in heating costs.
3. If you have older windows and doors, adding new storm windows and doors can help you save money on heating costs. A more economical option would be to install plastic film over windows.
4. Use heavy drapes and rugs to keep rooms warmer and add a layer of insulation on wood or tile floors.
5. Change the filter in your furnace. Dirty filters cause furnaces to run harder, wasting fuel. Be sure to get your furnace or boiler serviced annually for maximum efficiency.
6. Make sure furniture and carpets are not blocking heat registers or air ducts.
7. Programmable thermostats make it easy to control temperatures in your home, especially when the home is not occupied.
8. Lower the thermostat when everyone is sleeping, and use additional blankets if necessary.
9. Dress appropriately by wearing sweaters and sweatshirts to keep warm rather than turning up the thermostat.
10. Keep your water heater set at no higher than 120 F.