Norwich Public Utilities (NPU)

A municipally owned utility serving Norwich, CT with
natural gas, electricity, water and sewer services.

Home For My Business Policies Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)

Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)

Fats, oils and grease (FOG) dumped down a drain cause considerable damage to the city’s sewer collection system, as well as your own system, and result in operational problems and added costs for the wastewater treatment facility.  The State of Connecticut has established a General Permit for food preparation establishments (FPEs) to meet compliance requirements for the discharge of fats, oils, and grease.

FOG solidifies in the pipes, resulting in blockages that cause sewer backups. In addition to damage caused to property, these backups add risk to human health and the environment.

The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (CT DEP) instituted a General Permit, effective September 30, 2005, for restaurants and other businesses that prepare food to reduce problems caused by FOG discharge.

Under the requirements of the Permit, FOG-management equipment must be installed at all qualifying establishments. The equipment is designed to collect FOG until properly disposed of at approved disposal facilities. Establishments must maintain proper records of equipment maintenance and FOG disposal.

For more information on FOG management and the General Permit, including mandatory compliance dates, contact NPU at (860) 887-2555, extension 4157; the Uncas Health District at (860) 823-1189; or the CT DEP Bureau of Water Management at (860) 424-3755. Although the General Permit primarily affects restaurants, everyone can help reduce FOG in our distribution system.

Please do not pour grease, oil or fats down the drain! Instead, practice the “dry clean up” approach. Allow the grease to solidify in the pan and then scrape it into the trash, or use a paper towel to absorb it before washing the pan.

Download a summary of the General Permit issued by the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection for the Discharge of Wastewater Associated with Food Preparation Establishments.


Electric, Sewer, Water: 860-887-2555
Natural Gas: 860-887-7207
Report Utility Issue

Call Before You Dig

This service is free, it’s easy to use, and it’s the LAW!
CALL 8-1-1 Learn More

Community Matters

To view the latest Community Matters newsletter,
Document icon click here.