Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) is warning customers to be on guard from phone scammers who are identifying themselves as working with or on behalf of the utility. NPU has received reports from numerous customers who have been contacted by individuals posing as legitimate vendors.
The scammers are trying to collect on past-due bills and threatening to shut off service unless a credit card payment is made through a third party provider within an hour.
Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) is making sure the necessary employees, equipment and materials are in place ahead of the blizzard expected to hit the region throughout the day on Tuesday. With high winds more than a foot of snow possible, NPU has been preparing for a significant weather event throughout the day on Monday.
Utility asking for 10% reduction in water use by commercial, residential customers
Basic conservation measures urged as heat and humidity continue.
Conservation measures urged as high temperatures continue.
As extremely high temperatures and humidity continue for a second consecutive day, Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) has issued a Power Alert, effective between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm on Thursday, July 7, 2016.
NPU's business offices and customer service center will be closed on Monday, May 30th in observance of the Memorial Day Holiday. Normal business hours will resume on Tuesday, May 31st. For utility emergencies, please call 860-887-2555.
NORWICH – With temperatures expected to plunge to dangerous levels over the next few days, Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) is reminding customers of a few simple tips to keep themselves and their homes safe.
“While we want all our customers to stay safe and warm this weekend, we are also reminding folks to keep an eye out for their neighbors, particularly older members of our community, in the very cold days ahead,” said John Bilda, General Manager of NPU. “As always, we are ready to respond to any emergency, 24 hours a day, every day of the year.”
In light of this weekend’s difficult weather, NPU offer the following tips:
• To keep your pipes from freezing, open your faucet to allow a just a slow drip of water to come out during the coldest part of the day and overnight.
• Never use your oven to heat your home.
• When using portable space heaters, make sure the unit is at least three feet away from furniture, drapery and other flammable items.
• Never use an extension cord to plug in a space heater.
• Never leave a space heater unattended; turn it off when leaving the room or going to bed.
• Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector and smoke detectors installed in your home.
For customers using a fireplace, it is important to keep the following common sense guidelines in mind:
• Be sure to have your fireplace inspected before using it for the first time each year.
• Make sure to use a spark screen or glass doors to prevent sparks from flying into the room.
• Empty ashes from your fireplace into a metal container when cool, and never store the container inside your home or any structure.
• If you have a fireplace that is no longer used, be sure the damper is closed, or block the fireplace flue with a piece of cardboard or plywood to prevent the heated air in your home from escaping up the chimney.
NPU's Business Offices and Customer Service Center will be closed on Monday, February 15, 2016 for the President's Day holiday. Crews will be available to respond to any utiity emergency by calling 860-887-2555.